Tuesday, November 26, 2013

At the Bazaar


Last week I learned about a Bazaar that occurs every few months near my host family's house. I decided to check it out as I can rarely resist a good deal. It was a huge event, absolutely filling a local park. There were a few food vendors and advertisers, but the bulk of the Bazaar consisted of individual sellers getting rid of unwanted items. It was like an absolutely giant garage sale. Many people were selling anime merchandise and I asked one seller who had purchased the anime figures they were selling. She told me that they were her son's. I bought a figure from her and now I'm wondering if it was the prized possession of some poor Japanese youth that was practically given away by his callous mother. In any case I got a sweet deal.

As with many local events I've attended, I was the only foreigner there. Whenever this happens I figure I must be doing something right as I try to avoid touristy events in the interest of getting a more authentic Japanese experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment