Saturday, November 2, 2013

Jazz Where You Least Expect It


My school had a cultural festival on Friday. Basically it's a chance for all the clubs on campus to put on some kind of show/fundraiser. Most clubs sold fair-style food, of which I ate quite a bit. The music clubs put on shows. There was an A Cappella group performing outside, and the rock club was performing in a classroom which they had decorated as the "Cavern Club" which I assume is a reference to the Cavern club where the Beatles started playing. The Jazz club went one step further and offered coffee and bagels with their show. You had to buy a drink to enter "Cafe Beats" but it was well worth it. The coffee was of questionable quality as it came from cartons, but with enough sugar and cream it was alright. In any case, the true purpose of the club was the music. Throughout the day, various Jazz groups performed and I tried to catch a good number of them. Most of the groups were a little stiff, the freeform nature of Jazz probably doesn't come naturally to people, but they were talented nonetheless. One group in particular stood out though. They were called J.Seventh and their members seemed to have a good feel for the music. The solos were interesting and the members appeared to be having a good time. I especially enjoyed the guitar player whose playing seemed beautifully effortless.

When I woke up that morning I didn't think I'd have the chance to go to a Jazz cafe, but I was pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment